Saturday, July 18, 2009

patrick's job

I currently hold the position of baker at the Spicy Pickle in Licoln Park, and I would like to officially declare the things I have learned in my month of employment there:

-the general weight and size of a 5 ounce ball of bread dough and a 4 ounce ball of cookie dough (I have had at least one dream in which I am chopping up an endless pile of dough, I am covered in flour, and I and weighing the pieces into 5 ounce balls- if I don't get it right I cry)
-that tedious tasks can have beautiful ends
-to trust my eyes
-to follow a recipe for gods sake, it makes things so simple!
-to take time
-that sleep doesn't disappear, it just reappears in new places of the day
-to clean up as I go
-that I can lift large bags of flour and gently measure ounces and cups and tablespoons of salt yeast and durum
-that I can bake in a large pickle costume
-that even if you mistake sugar for salt you can still save yourself; there is always a way to work it out so it won't happen again, there is always someone you can call.
-a trade, I have learned the basics of a craft, a skill set that brings people what can be considered a necessity; something that involves labor and mental capacity, and using my hands to create a gratifying and tangible result. I am able to take home a few of my rolls and have a reminder of my accomplishments, I can feed myself to a degree with what I do.

1 comment:

j. o'callahan-rokusek said...

beautiful. do you really wear a pickle costume?