Friday, June 13, 2008

i am glad we are able to share this joy

I have been in a funk. Without school or a job to fill my days, it has been hard for me to find a sense of purpose. WIthout a sense of purpose, I feel useless and my days lose their meaning. I tried to fill my days with the little hobbies that keep me happy but it was hard to connect them all to a bigger purpose or sense of duty. One of the biggest problems was most of the days I was by myself, patiently and eventually impatiently waiting for my friends to get out of school, finish their finals or finish their shift at work. Being with someone who truly cares for you and vice versa makes all the difference; even the silliest of conversations or the most menial of chores is filled with a warmth and a familiarity when you are able to share it with someone who knows you. Not everyday and every meeting has to be filled with monumental, earth-shattering discoveries and adventures. Simply being aware of someone's presence physically and emotionally is really all you need. Sure, you can complain about how uneventful your night was, sitting at the same coffee shop as always, drinking the same hot tea. But at least you are given the chance to sit down and enjoy each other's company, share stories and share a laugh. I really enjoy the phrase "to share a laugh". To be able to split joy, and its physical appearance (laughter) with another person, is a really meaningful and fulfilling opportunity.

No comments: