Sunday, April 27, 2008

etty hillesum

"Why shouldn't one feel an immense, tender ecstasy of love for the spring, or for all humanity? And on can befriend the winter, too, or a town or a country."

"I stood on the little bridge and looked across the water; I melted into the landscape and offered all my tenderness up to the sky and the stars and the water and to the little bridge. And that was the best moment of the day. And I felt this was the only way of transforming all of the many deep and tender feelings one carries for another into deeds: to entrust them to nature, to let them stream out under the open spring sky, and to realize that there is no other way of letting them go."

"It is possible to suffer with dignity and without. I mean: most of us in the West don't understand the art of suffering and experience a thousand fears instead. We cease to be alive, being full of fear, bitterness, hatred, and despair. God know, it's only too easy to understand why."

"This morning, while I stood at the tub with a colleague, I said with great emotion something like this: "The realms of the soul and spirit are so spacious and unending that this little bit of physical discomfort and suffering really doesn't matter all that much. I do not feel that I have been robbed of my freedom; essentially no one can do me any harm at all. Yes, children, that's how it is, I am in a strange state of mournful contentment."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We read her diary in class this year. she had a lot of profound things to say and one of our assignments was to pick our favorite quotes and make a little book out of them.

mine were:
"the externals are simply props; everything we need is within us."

"but wherever i go, won't there be the same earth under my roving feet and the same sky with now the moon and now the sun, not to mention all the stars above my grateful head? so why speak of an unknown destination?"

"life is so odd and so surprising and so infinitely varied, and at every twist of the road the whole vista changes all of a sudden."