Friday, April 25, 2008

let's recreate an easier time because i still cant find you

As I climbed down from my shaky bunk bed, stepped onto my desk and onto the floor, I was still consumed by a fussy mood from the night before. I opened my computer and "Easier" by Grizzly Bear began to play. My frustrations were instantly melted away. Try it, it's a perfect morning song. 
I have come to recently realize the strength of empathy. Sympathy is feeling compassion for someone because you have been in a similar situation whereas empathy is imagining yourself in their position and actually making yourself feel what they are feeling. I believe the words are often used in difficult times (Jacky felt sympathy for John, who had spilled his oatmeal all over his pajamas). Lately I have been finding the majority of my happiness pouring in from the success and bliss of those close to me. When they tell me the news I will stomp my feet and squeal with delight, as if the great news had actually happened to me. Each step is a little lighter and I have to squish my face in order to hide my goofy smile (It seems I'm usually on the bus when this happens and smiling to myself would probably prove to others that I am a complete loon). It seems like many people, when having a bad day, would rather not hear of others' triumphs because. In their eyes, it is just a cruel comparison to make their situation that much worse off. For the sake of everyone's happiness, just try to imagine the excitement, energy and adrenaline pumping with electricity through your friend's heart when they giggle, whisper or yell through the phone receiver about how they passed their French test, kissed on top of Twin Peaks or found Nirvana. That was a mouthful, but I just want to convey to you that if you just try to imagine these things they will usually make themselves felt. 

No comments: