Wednesday, April 23, 2008

introductions

Several years ago, I had read an interview with an aging actor. When describing his life situation, he simply and almost sadly stated, "I'm just trying to live my life... I mean, it's not like everyday is a big trip to Paris." Hold on, hold on, I know that may come off as cheesy and unnecessarily poignant, but it hit me hard at the time. I was an adolescent and I had my whole life ahead of me, which was exciting. All of my thoughts for the future went about the same way: "I can't wait for this weekend", "I'll be so happy when I finally graduate", "I'll finally start really living once I get a real job" and so on and so forth. But for a while something was out of place, and this actor's statement helped me see what it was. The majority of people in the world, or at least that I have come into contact with, have placed more or less value on their life based on the big, exciting and 'important' things that they experience. Their happiness depends on getting their license, prom, graduating, become a big important famous person, or traveling abroad as the actor said. Not only do these events and activities only last for a few hours or days at most, but once they pass you by you usually feel unchanged, a little empty and fairly disappointed. It was about six months ago, my friends and I had been in college for a month or two at the most. "This is it," we all though, "this is college, this is where our lives are going to change completely, and for the better." However, college proved to be simply college. It was dorms, bad cafeteria food and long lecture classes. We were all growing restless, and I was having a heart to heart with a friend who was especially fed up with the whole experience. One of the things that really got to him was "the emptiness in every right of passage." And it's true, from a young age we are all taught to look forward to this big, life changing events. But once you get to them, there you still are. 
So, finally, to the point. Life is everyday, and everyone needs to learn to live that way. It is the big things, too, but most of it is made up of small occurrences: the flowers on display at the corner store and a stranger holding open a door. As my mom once told me, "You have to learn to find happiness in the details. I may have had a terrible, exhausting and monotonous day at work, but I come home and walk in the house to be greeted by my dogs. Their barks and wagging tails are all I need to be happy for the day. Just that moment makes everything worth it." Every now and then, Patrick and I will help remind you to find happiness in these details. Sometimes we will make lists, reference our own experiences, use multimedia technology. Think of this blog as a pep talk for your thought process. 
And for your enjoyment, a video of an elephant painting. What does it mean? I don't know, but it makes me happy and that's all that matters.



No comments: