Monday, May 19, 2008

Getting from here to there

I tend to be a fast walker, especially in my green "leprechaun" oddly heeled foot contraptions. I like to think of myself as observant when out in public, but in all honesty I believe there is so much that I miss in walking with a quicker step and by mindlessly opening up my stride. I think I just like to hear the rhythm of heel to pavement, heel to pavement, and my subconscious wishes to speed it up or make it more audible with forceful steps. I catch myself when I get out of control, you can just imagine what out of control walking looks like for me (there is a whole lot of stomping and swaying and arms are just, and way to fast to be at a relaxed pace). In these moments i then start to walk slower, to better understand the tunnel of trees I am about to walk through, to decide wether that smell is urine or vomit, and to admire the resilient gardens of maintained by people I would like to shake hands with and consider my favorite Chicagoians; It takes a lot of patience to have a garden in a city, next to a college campus (many beer cans and cigarette butts bloom in the night unbeknownst to the gardener), and in Chicago where your efforts are covered for at least four months of the year and the lack of sunlight may hinder your progress.

All this considered, something should also be said about how one carries themselves when they walk. The body language of a walk can exude confidence or apathy. And even if I may sound like some sort of self help book from the sixites, I still believe how someone presents themselves can be a barometer to their view of the world (this is not limiting to the world of clothing and hyegine, but it stature and movement). Sometimes when I am feeling really good, and I can feel it all the way down to my feet, I think my walk is the most relaxed and proud. But then it morphs into some grotesque more than proud trot, and then after checking myself I am able to look around and see little things that make me wonder, that make me happy, and that make me want to find something more.

after thought:
-watching how people walk is incredible, just paying attention to little aspects of humans in motion. try not to look pervy though, no extended stares to the buttocks or groin, in fact no prolonged odd gazes.
-try to make up stories to peoples strides, dont confine them to the story you make, do it all in good fun

No comments: