Thursday, May 8, 2008

something i could rest my hands on

Adventures can take place on a daily basis. Love can be found on a daily basis. Beauty can be found on a daily basis. You just have to train your eye to see it all happening right before your eyes. You perception shapes your reality which shapes your life, so why not train yourself to see even the smallest of miracles?
Everyday I try to make mental lists of little events, situations and things that bring me joy. Here is a short list of small, all too often ignored things that have recently made it on my list. Most likely you will recognize a lot of these things as being part of your life, too. And, like switching the lens on a telescope, many new things will come into focus.

-Many people despise a crowded bus. I myself am not very comfortable revealing my armpit to strangers while bumping cabooses with junkies. I do revel in the rare opportunity to be the one standing at the front of the crowd, right in front of the wide windshield. I take a sideways stance, knees bent as the bus driver rushes up and over each hill. I like to imagine myself surfing, via bus, through the city this way.
-Living on a college campus, I have grown especially fond of elderly eccentric, flustered professors with tattered suits and even more scattered brains. My heart goes all fuzzy whenever I see them and I fall in love, at least for a few seconds.
-The act of pouring hot water from the teapot into the glass.
-Stepping up onto the sidewalk.
-Making eye contact with strangers (especially the aforementioned professors)
-Spoons in general.
-Jaywalking
-Dizzy Gillespie's cheeks.
-Brushing my teeth in the shower.

Now go and make a list of your own and send it our way!

ADDITION:
this is partick's short list of things he looks forward too, mundane things turned extraordinary, and simply good times.

-Overcooked tofu and reading the snippets of trivia on the back of the soy sauce packets.
-The form,coloring, and general nature of a fully bloomed tulip.
-When the wind shakes through a tree with blossoms, scattering the petals all over, and you can bow your head and pretend you are the Dali Lama (that’s not blasphemous is it?).
-Any moment I am allowed to hold Ben, walk with him, or talk with him.
-Trying to name flowers with Erin or anyone for that matter.
-The unpredictability of a thunderstorm, and laughing about your own wet clothes all day. Along with this is the way lighting rules the sky for the briefest moment and really listening to the wax and wain of rainfall (it really is not always a consistent downpour).
-Reading stories about dark and dirty Havana right before I got to bed, just so that I am to that almost fearful place, then I count my blessings and feel safer because I am on the second floor, then I fall asleep listening to some relaxing music.
-Always making eye contact with strangers.
- Natural hair grease and messing with my hair.
-Figuring out in the morning if actions were dreams or not.
-Putting a letter in the mail box or taking a letter out of my mail box
- Making and then forgetting my future goals
-Train rides everywhere are fun, especially with other people’s conversations being loud enough for me to not even try to eavesdrop. Silence on the train is fine as well.
-When people look at me and the golden unicorn on my bag funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that made me smile, especially about the tattered professors. I'm definately going to start my own list now