Friday, May 9, 2008

turning in your drunk dry sleep

(Not posted under the influence of alcohol, as the title suggests. They are lyrics from a pretty amazing tune called "Gemini (Birthday Song) by Why. Give it a listen, it's pretty romantic and has poignant imagery. Personally, I do not find the word very poignant. I mean, when you say it, it sounds bouncy. Poing, poing, poing, Poignant. Just goes to show you how language quite often falls short of conveying actual meaning and thought. Totally different story, probably not meant for this blog. )
I normally close the blinds when I go to sleep to keep the bright lights of the city out of my sleeping eyes. Since I recently purchased a snazzy sleeping eye mask, I decided to let the city lights be. It's a pretty comfy eye mask, with an adjustable elastic strap. It is even made of this sensual silky material, to comfort your eyelids that much more. And on the front, or back, or whatever side you would call the one that faces out and away from your face, are pretty little golden stars and planets with oscillating rings. I guess those planets would be considered Saturn. If it is, there are three Saturns on my eyemask, and several ying yang shapes, too. And the shooting stars! There are probably at least five shooting stars, all travelling from left to right! That must mean something, they must be shooting away from something! Well, shit. That's unsettling. How am I supposed to sleep knowing the shooting stars are running away from something? Or maybe they are shooting towards something? That would make more sense, seeing as the one and a half smiling crescent moons are facing the direction the stars are shooting in. And, I mean, if the moons are smiling like that, there must be something pleasant going on in that direction. Okay, problem solved. So, on the the main story. In the middle of the night, however, the mask slipped off. I began to stir, and rolling over, I looked out the window. Somehow, the cityscape and Victorian houses transformed into a giant man opening the door of his house and walking away. It's not like it made my particularly happy at the time, but it was incredibly bizarre. I rubbed my eyes and little ol' Masonic Ave. turned back into just that. I reached for my eye mask and went back to sleep.
Perception, perception, perception!

No comments: