Monday, May 12, 2008

Sometimes a misunderstanding ends up being a beautiful painting

So today before entering my Islamic World Studies class, I was feeling rather adventures and dare I say tawdry. I had recently heard a naughty joke and I wanted terribly to tell someone. Jenny of course comes to mind. I knew telling a joke and making someone laugh was exactly what I needed to do in that moment, so I was very excited. You could almost say that I was too excited to tell this joke. And might I add, it is never good to tell a dirty joke via text message, it is all in the delivery. That is why I will assume stage directions for the conversation that arises.

Patrick (almost too excited to tell a dirty joke via text message)
What did Mozart say was better than roses on your piano?

Jenny (with what I imagined and hoped to be a greatly enthusiastic tone)
What?

Patrick (still too excited before heading into the impending doom that is his next class)
Tulips on your organ!

I am in class and there is no reply for sometime. A sense of failure is beginning to enter my mind, and it may be catalyzed by the great void of speaking I do in this class.

Patrick then says (not giving up yet
get it tu-lips ...ORGAN
SO SALACIOUS

when you have to point out how salacious your joke is you cannot help but feel a bit of failure.

Jenny (with what I hope is both earnest compassion and confusion)
I am not sure what it means, but I feel like its sexual

Patrick (not fully dead yet, he is remaining strong because that is what life and humor demands sometimes)
two lips on your organ.....penis....Beeeeeejdeeeeets

Jenny
Oh that reminds me of a Dali painting

Patrick (a bit shocked)
I think I am writing this down

Jenny (with a simple air of knowledge and understanding)

He did a painting of a bunch of flowers, but instead of petals the had two lips because they are tulips


I promised myself not to make that joke anytime soon and to go find the painting when I got back to my room

Photobucket

It is a nice painting. I think its rather witty and nice
Thank you Jenny.


moral: Sometimes vulgarity is not what we need, sometime we need beauty. Sometimes we need misunderstandings to figure out what we really need.

No comments: